Monday, February 3, 2014

Disciple: A Guest Post by L. Blankenship

I'm excited to have a guest blogger today. L. Blankenship is the author of Disciple Half-Omnibus, which collects the first three parts of Disciple into one meaty book. If you haven't read Part I yet, you can try it for free. 

And don't forget to scroll way down at the bottom of this post to enter for a chance to win a free copy of her forthcoming book! And now on to the guest blog...



DISCIPLE, PART IV arrives on March 1st!

I've been self-publishing for over a year now. A year and three months, to be more exact. I'm still waiting for the Fun Police to kick in my door and stop me.

Because while self-pubbing has been stressful and frightening and at times soul-crushing, it still feels like I'm getting away with something I shouldn't be able to. I'm part of a group of writers who say a manuscript should be submitted around "until hell won't have it!" so at first I joked that by self-pubbing I was catapulting my story straight over hell's walls and they had no option about having it... bypassing publishing's infamous gatekeepers and all.

The joke wore off as it became obvious that my manuscript was probably sitting on a sidewalk inside hell's walls, being stepped over and ignored.

Nobody came to stop me, though.

So I loaded up my second manuscript and fired that over the walls too. Then the third one. Each time, I went through the same ritual of betas, revision, and hiring a freelance editor. I plotted long-range character arcs and pondered the changes in narrative voice. I hired cover artists and squeed over what they sent me.

I was sure that would alert the Fun Police, but they still didn't serve me a cease and desist order.

Self-publishing is not a bed of roses unless you mean a bed of rosebushes rather than one of flower petals. I came into this with 15 years' experience as a graphic designer, prepress technician, proofreader, and a small-press publisher in the tabletop gaming industry -- and I still have my share of thorn scratches.

Each of those is from the silence that follows a promotional post. An offer of free review copies that went unanswered. A Sunday that I went around to my sales sites to collect the "weekly eggs" as I call those strings of zeros.

This is why writers need thick skins. The bed of thorns.

I do catch the scent of roses, though. I still squee when my artist sends me sketches for my next book cover. When someone posts that they liked my sample, it's a welcome ray of sunshine. Every time I go looking for zeros and find numbers instead, it plasters a smile on my face.


I'm going to keep doing this until the Fun Police kick in my door and haul me away.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.