Sunday, September 22, 2013

More lessons in self-publishing

Today, I learned yet another lesson in self-publishing and I'm going to share it with you. As you may know, KDP Select allows a five-day free promotion period for ebooks. You can schedule it whenever you like using the Manage Promotions link from your Bookshelf. I've been extraordinarily busy and my three month term has almost flown by so when I realized this today, I decided to pull the trigger on the 5-day promo. Easy and simple to do.


Then I realized that as with everything else in self -publishing, the key was promoting it. Why would I want to give away free ebooks, you ask? Mostly because I hope to generate interest in the book and garner more honest reviews on my Amazon and Goodreads pages. I approach the book promotion process exactly the same way as I manage my social media platform - I seek to slowly and intentionally build a strong network of followers. I try to effectively utilize every tool available to me. I give more than I expect to get.



So...how to maximize my 5-free days? I found some places to promote free books and I quickly realized that last minute isn't the best way to do this. Next time, I'll plan better. It might sound like a lot of work, but I suggest that about a month before you plan to offer your ebook for free on Amazon, you do some research and sketch out a general marketing plan.


There are lots of places which will accept your submission and add your book to their sites and feeds, but the rules vary from site to site. Some require that you submit 14-days ahead of time while others will not even accept your submission until the free offer is live on KDP. Some have very strict guidelines about genre, content,  number of reviews, and the score of your reviews. For instance, I ran across several places which would only accept a submission if your book has a review score of greater than 4 based on a set number of reviewers.


I'll leave you with some ebook promotion links and the suggestion that you plan ahead for your free book promo with KDP. Also, don't forget to utilize every other social media channel available to you - Twitter, Tumblr, FB, etc.



The good news is that as soon as I began submitting, I started to see my number of downloads climb. It works.


The above list is just a starting point. A simple Google search will yield hundreds of sites willing to promote your free ebook. Pay close attention to their rule and guidelines. Don't waste your time (or theirs) submitting to those which aren't suitable for your ebook.


The art in this post was created by Tessa Pearson, one of Ink & Alchemy's Featured Artists. Click any of the pieces to go to her website. If you have art or writing that you want to share with the world, consider submitting to me. Click here to access the form.

Love & lit,
Robin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.