Friday, May 31, 2013

What the heck is a social media platform anyway?

I interact with creative people every day, both in real life and in cyberspace. Hardly a day goes by without at least one person lamenting that they need to learn how to go online and build their business, but they have no idea how to begin. They need to build a successful social media platform. This is not uncommon. In fact, it's so common that I can now predict the conversation and it goes a little something like this.

First, there is the desire to self-promote, which can take many forms:

  • I really need to drive more traffic to my Amazon page.
  • I want to sell my art online.
  • I need to have a platform in order to compete in today's market.

Next there are expectations:

  • I want to quit my job and make all my money blogging.
  • I tweeted every day last week, and I still haven't sold a thing.
  • I published a book using CreateSpace and expected great things, but so far I haven't sold any books, except the one that my Mom bought.

And then there is reality:

Let's establish realistic expectations right up front. Networking and promoting via social media will not make you rich or famous overnight. It's actually a rather slow process in most cases. Building an effective platform will require long-term commitment.

As you may already know, Ink & Alchemy and More Ink were begun with the intention of helping creative people find success online. I'd like to actively focus on that goal more in the future, and your input and feedback would be very helpful to me.

What do YOU want to learn?
Where are your biggest struggles? 
What are your social media goals?


Some of you may be a little overwhelmed by how fast everything is moves online. You may be wondering -  what the heck is a social media platform anyway? Your social media platform is simply the series of sites that you build around yourself and your work to be used to interact with the world.

We're going to do this together, intentionally, and in small steps. You can do it - I promise!


Please take a moment to drop me a line right now so that we can work toward your success.

If you want to make sure you don't miss anything, you can sign up for my mailing list.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.