Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Joe Badal: Does this Lone Wolf have an agenda?

He certainly has an agenda related to writing. Although he only recently began writing novels, after serving as an officer in the U.S. Army and enjoying a long career in finance, Joe Badal is a born storyteller. His parents were storytellers who included Joe and his siblings as characters in their stories. These sessions instilled in him a desire to tell stories himself.



He also looks great in sunglasses, which is always a plus. 

He's the author of five thrillers, including The Pythagorean Solution, Evil Deeds, Terror Cell, The Nostradamus Secret, and Shell game. His next novel, The Lone Wolf Agenda, will be released in May, which is very exciting! 

I had the opportunity to speak with Joe for this interview and learned that his first published story was included in an elementary school newspaper when he was in 3rd grade. He loved the limelight and decided at that moment to become a writer.  


I often ask writers and artists if they have always been comfortable with their creativity, or if they learned to embrace it over time. Their responses interest me, I suppose because it took me so long to find my own creativity. Joe revealed that he's never stopped to think of himself as being creative. Writing is so much a part of his identity, that it is and always has been a part of his life and his passion. I admire this self-knowledge and certainty.

Joe believes that there is really one principal required to achieve success at creative pursuits: Follow your passion. If you're not passionate about an art form, then writing or painting or playing a musical instrument becomes nothing but work. Most of us already have a job; we don't need to take on a creative endeavor that is nothing but work.

Like many writers, balance can sometimes be a problem for Joe. He considered himself a very social person, and  so the isolation of writing was initially difficult, but he found that his best writing is done when there are no distractions. He often finds him self in a manic writing mode, and time seems to pass at warp speed. During these periods, it's difficult to have patience with real-life distractions. Despite this, he feels he is generally able to achieve a balance between his writing and the rest of his life and he loves the interaction that comes with book signings and speaking to audiences. Before Joe begins a book project, he does extensive research on his subject, but he remains flexible enough to allow his writing to flow in unpredictable directions.

He mentioned that during the writing process, his emotions run the gamut of sadness, joy, fear, elation, and anger. Writing about characters and their stories brings on this broad spectrum of emotions and it is these same emotions that he hopes to stimulate in the readers of his books. Although he writes fiction, there is an element of autobiography in every one of his novels because he borrows heavily on personal experience when writing his books.


I asked him if the opinion of others was crucial to his work. Here is his response:

I would be lying if I told you that feedback from readers is unimportant. I love to get positive input from readers. But if I never sold a single copy of a book, I would still write. The joy I get from writing is a kind of pleasure different from any other. 


Joe and I share the same viewpoint regarding the role of change. We both adamantly believe that change is crucial to creative success. We live in a world that is transforming rapidly.  The tastes of readers are changing. The book delivery system has changed.  Technology is changing. The entire publishing industry is in flux. Authors must adapt to these changes - or, better yet, anticipate these changes. Embracing change allows an author to maintain excitement about his work. It is Joe's belief that if an author fails to adopt these changes, his work will wither from lack of attention. Without change, the work becomes stale.

As you know, I believe that social media has placed an incredible amount of marketing and self-promotion power in the hands of those who create and because of that, I always discuss it with my interviewees.  Joe is one of those authors who have embraced it. You can visit him  on Facebook or Twitter. He also writes a  wonderful monthly blog, called Everyday Heroes, which will restore your faith in humanity. Joe considers Wattpad to be the new paradigm for book marketing; you can read sample chapters of his work there.


I'm honored that Joe has shared his time and talent with us on my blog and wish him the best of luck with the release of The Lone Wolf Agenda in May. The list of More Ink Featured Writers (and Ink & Alchemy Featured Artists) has moved.  They can now be found at the top of this blog. If you're interested in sharing your creative story, we want to hear it!  Contact me or visit my website for details.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/images/cleardot.gif


7 comments:

  1. Thank you for bringing new (to me) artists and writers to my attention all the time. I find these posts so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so happy to hear that you like them. It's truly a pleasure for me to find them and pry into their brains for their creative secrets. :) I'm having a great time with it, so I'm very pleased to have positive feedback from the other side. I hope you're having a good week, Carin! Mine is a short one and it's almost over. Whew! Can't wait.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Joe has been a friend and my boss for a couple of years. I can't express how genuine and real he is both as an author and friend......Good luck to him forever.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've not had the pleasure of meeting Joe Badal, but have been introduced to a portion of his life's story by other members of his family. I've also not read any of his publications, and do look forward to enjoying them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the comments and welcome to my blog. It was an honor to have Joe. If you enjoy literature or art, please join me at Ink & Alchemy or More Ink. You'll find links at the top under 'Connect with me'. I'd love to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great interview, Robin. I met Joe at a mystery convention and have enjoyed his books. I'm also glad that I'm not the only person who enjoys social activities as much as writing. I find I do my best work when I isolate myself for a week and immerse myself with my characters. Some one coined me a binge writer so you may be one too, Joe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hello, Cindy! Thanks for stopping by. There are worse things to be called than a binge writer, so count yourself lucky. Lol!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.