Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Suck it up, buttercup.

NaNoWriMo.  Yup, it's that time again. If you're interested in writing at all, or if you have an internet connection, then I probably don't need to explain NaNoWriMo, but I'm going to anyway for the sake of the uninitiated.  NaNoWriMo is shorthand for National Novel Writing Month, which takes place each year during November.



When I first met my husband, about 5 years ago, he had heard that I wanted to write a novel, and being the attentive and marvelous husband that he is, he sent me the NaNoWriMo link.  Between that time and now, I have failed miserably (every single freaking year) at even getting started with the process. I can't explain my dismal failure.  There is no excuse.  Had I gotten off to a roaring start but petered out, or started but realized that I sucked as a writer, that I could understand, but this is something different.  I really never got started, which is unlike me.  I'm a doer.  That's what I do, I do stuff.  I've been pondering this today and come to the realization that I must be afraid.  I loathe and detest being afraid of things.  It really pisses me off.



You may know that I write other things - short stories, poems, technical documents.  Clearly, I have the capability to write. I'm not saying that all of it is great or even good, I'm just saying I can put some words on the paper, my friends.  I'm a member of two writing groups, Southwest Writers and another smaller, yet-to-be-named enterprise, for which I regularly produce written material.  What's my problem?  I come to the conclusion that to me a well-written novel is the epitome of awesomeness and I'm afraid to fail so I have been beating it to the chase by failing before I even begin.  Which is unacceptable. I've had just about enough of this crap.

Note to self:   Suck it up, buttercup.





Of course I may fail.  Highly likely, in fact. But I can't become a better writer unless I write and what better inspiration than NaNoWriMo, in which thousands of other people write and join together in solidarity. I feel inspired just typing that. November is the month to focus on output, not perfect sentences or endless editing.  Just write. (The ruthless editing takes place in December.  So we can all have a lovely winter holiday filled with good cheer.) I can do this and if you're a writer, I encourage you to do it as well. If you decide to try it, let's be writing buddies.  Look me up here.



I absolutely adore Chuck Wendig's Terrible Minds and he has written an article called 25 Things You Should Know About NaNoWriMo.  If you read that one and crave more, read the whole NaNoWriMo primer by Chuck.




Let's do this.  Sharpen your pencils, charge up the laptop, do whatever it is you need to do, because we're going to write a novel.  



I almost published this without giving proper credit to the very talented artist featured in this post.  My bad!  All art is by Dominique Fortin.  Click here or on any image to view the artist's website.

4 comments:

  1. Suck it up buttercup! LOL. Love that! And what a great husband you have to send you the link in the first place. You go do it, Robin. I know you can do it, that you'll love doing it. But I'll sit on the sidelines and cheer you on lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw thanks, Carin! My husband is definitely a keeper. And I really appreciate your support. The people on the sidelines are important!! I will need all the cheering I can get. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Robin, I think courage is everything. I know I wanted to have an etsy shop in 2010. I didn't list a single thing for 2 whole years.( Yes my shop stood empty all alone) My problem was that I had been following shops and their blog and felt I couldn't compete. I took the plunge and I still always compare my things to anyone else's. When I did my blog, I thought, Oh boy, I've put myself out there, now I have to make this work! Each and every day, I think to myself; No one else is going to follow my blog! We are our own worst critic! Be courageous! You are a fabulous writer and your blog is proof! xo's Pam

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the encouragement, Pam! I know exactly what you mean. It sounds silly now, but I was interested in art & writing for so long, but afraid to mention it on FB (or anywhere else for that matter) because I felt like I wasn't good enough. When I finally 'came out of the closet', it was such a relief! So, I agree! Be bold! Have courage! Sometimes I forget though, so let's make a deal - I'll remind you and you remind me. :)

    I really appreciate your kind words regarding my writing. You have made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.