Sunday, October 28, 2012

Milestones

Have you passed any milestones in your life lately? Some milestones are easy to see like graduating, getting married, or starting a new job, and others are less discernable unless you pay close attention. Yesterday, The Don and I went on an errand specifically to procure packing materials for shipping my art. I didn't think much of it at the time, because it was just one line item on a long to-do list within a pretty busy life, but later he mentioned what a big deal he thought that was. He was right, it is a big deal! ME making art and shipping it!  Whaaaaaat?!  Two years ago, I could not have imagined it, yet here I am, having the time of my life. I'm preparing to submit my work to an upcoming exhibit. I have a studio, and a FB page focused on creative inspiration with over 200 followers.



Speaking of milestones, I not only write, I belong to two writer's groups and I regularily submit my work. I'll admit that I've received far more rejections than acceptances, but there have been acceptances. In a couple of weeks, I'm heading out to the Tony Hillerman Writer's Conference. All pretty incredible!



You know what?  As of today, I'm declaring myself successful as both a writer & an artist.  I'll admit that someday I'd love to experience other types of success regarding my creative work, like boat-loads of money or recognition, but I need to remember that just having the courage to chase your dreams is a valid form of success all by itself and I'm going to enjoy it for what it is.



Live can get so hectic that it can be easy to miss the small signposts along the way. I'm unbelievably happy with my life right now and in my book, ridiculous happiness is a valid criteria for success.  Maybe it should be THE criteria for success, at the top of the page in bold letters and surrounded by glittery stars. I'm going to start paying more attention to the small victories in my life and revel in them. Please share your milestones and successes with me - I'd love to hear about them!



Some signposts of success in my life lately
  • I meet people on a daily basis who make my world bigger, more interesting, and fabulous.  Writers, artists, scientists, bus-drivers, people I know only in cyber-space.  I love 'em all!
  • My kids have both grown into incredible adults.  Love them to pieces.
  • My husband is a terrific, supportive person who puts up with (sometimes even encourages!) all of my crazy antics.  
  • One of my encaustic works, Breath Like Peaches, is in an Etsy treasury today.  Wanna see?
  • I guest blogged at Artsnapper today - go take a peek
  • Since I have to have a job - and apparently I do because for some reasonthey won't give me food for free at the grocery store - I am glad that I enjoy mine.


As a sidenote, I find WordPress maddening.  Anyone know how to include a link to images in WordPress galleries?  If so, for the love of god, comment or e-mail and straighten me out.


I thought the eerily beautiful art of Angie Brown was appropriate for an end of October blog post. Click here to visit her website and while you're there, check out the titles of her pieces. Very cool!


Last, but not least, today we adopted a new cat, Groucho.  He's very loving and affectionate. Love him already!



Have a terrific week!


2 comments:

  1. Yes Robin, you are most definitely successful!!! I think people who focus solely on monetary success end up pretty miserable because they're never happy with the baby steps they have taken.

    It's funny, right now I count among my successes having blogged twice last week. Seriously! Since summer, when the little fella cut his nap in half, I've only managed once a week.

    Groucho is ac utie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what you mean about the blogging, but my kids are grown now, so I don't even have a plausible excuse! I should have included blogging on my list of successes as well, because every week that I manage to write a post, it's like a miracle!

    I really enjoy your blog, Carin. And thanks so much for the encouragement - you're awesome!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.