Friday, July 6, 2012

Finishing up & moving on

Ink & Alchemy is official!  I received these new mini-cards in the mail from Moo


You really get a lot of bang for your buck with Moo.  For twenty bucks, you can upload up to 100 images, have complete control over your design, the resultant product ships fast, and the quality is excellent.  What more could you ask for?

I put the finished touches on this piece today.  It's glazed, signed, photographed (in multiple dpi), and cataloged.  Whew!  Art is a lot of work.  :)

Who's Counting?
For those of you attentive enough to notice that this painting looks rather similar to another of my works, Too Many Moons, be assured, you are not crazy.  These two works are the beginning of a series called The Calculus of Loss, which was conceived in an effort to explore the many different types of loss that one experiences as a human being, and the responses, some appropriate and some not, to those losses.

Each piece began with a different poem that I wrote in response to a loss in my life.  Specifically, Too Many Moons, addresses the loss of a specific person in my life and the fact that it has been far too long since I have seen this person.  Unfortunately, I'd like to keep it that way.

Who's Counting? is a commentary on several (okay, many) failed romantic relationships in my life.  And for the record, yes, I am counting.  I suppose the fact that I'm in a fulfilling, empowering relationship now allows me to admit these failures which led to loss. 

I'm pretty excited about our art-centered evening.  We're planning dinner at Slate Street Cafe, a first for The Don, and then off to a few galleries for ARTScrawl.  I have an itinerary sketched out and it includes:

I may have mentioned this before, but there are many details involved in the making of artwork which are not creative in nature, and one of them is the hanging hardware. The devil most certainly IS in the details. I recently found out that there is a method of attaching hardware which is considered standard and is preferred by most galleries.  I immediately informed by art-handler (The Don) and voila! I have two gorgeously blank (a.k.a full of potential) substrates with lovely D-rings and wire.  They've been taped and gessoed (Is this even a word?) and are patiently waiting on my benchtop.  Still working on finishing the final encaustic study; I'm making progress.  

I'm currently racking (yes, this correct - not wrack) my brain to sketch out a female character for something I'm writing.  I'm committed to spending more effort on my writing.  If Art and Writing were my children, Writing would have an inferiority complex and would grow up to spend thousands on a therapist due to the fact that I consistently neglect him and blatantly pay more attention to Art.  What can I say?  Art is easier to get along with. He's cheerful and pliant, while Writing is sort of a pain in the ass.  But I love them both equally!  I swear!  

For the past few days, I've been lucky enough to be home from work and so I've been involved in a little experiment.  I've been pretending that my career doesn't exist.  Unfortunately, this is the furthest thing from the truth, so I'm trying to mentally prepare myself for Monday.  So far, it's not working.


I need to go feed the birds so they'll continue to hang around outside my studio window.    


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.