Wednesday, July 4, 2012

Bitchy clown

Same old thing, insanely busy;  blah, blah, blah.  I am standing at the front end of a deliciously long weekend and I intend to make the best of it.  I know the entire rest of the country is lighting up barbecue grills and sticking sparklers up their noses, but that doesn't sound fun to me at all because strictly speaking you need to go outside to pursue those activities. Here in Albuquerque, we're in the throes of monsoon season.  When you translate this into practical terms, it means that when you leave the house and venture out to places of commerce or cuisine, you run the risk of being really, really, really freaking hot. This is because of a delightful contraption call the swamp cooler. If you ask me, it even sounds gross. (Swamp =  humid, damp, bugs the size of my foot).   I realize that I sound like a whiny baby and I'm totally okay with that.  Refrigerated air, people.  All of the previous information had but one purpose - to support the fact that I'm staying home as much as possible over the next five days.  And why not?



I'm in the middle of a plethora of different projects, not the least of which is paying attention to my very patient husband, The Don.  I'd also like to finish up a few pieces of art I've been working on.  I feel like all of my messing about with different mediums and methods thus far has been just a warm-up.    As The Don states it, I've been finding my voice.  Suddenly, things are starting to make sense and fit together.   I have an installation in our home comprised of many different encaustic studies I've done and when I complete the half-finished one on my benchtop, I'll have nine.  Exactly the right number to fit the space, and I'm calling it complete once the last one is hung. The wax is heating at this very moment.



I've decided upon a theme for a new (first, technically speaking) body of work:  The Calculus of Loss. I have many artistic works, but they're  unrelated and not cohesive as a group. I have some ideas about how it will develop, but as always, once I start working in the studio, things seem to take on a life of their own and I  try to respect that. I have recently begun to understand the incredible amount of work that goes on behind the scenes in the art world.  One must establish and maintain a web presence, keep track of  (and enter!) upcoming exhibitions, understand the basics of digital photography as well as the organization of the resulting images, and somehow still manage to do art. Oh, and network.  I think networking is really important.  I'm finding all of this challenging and enjoyable, albeit time consuming.

I have two unfinished mixed media pieces hanging around in my studio and taunting me.  My goal is to put the finishing touches on all of the aforementioned works, so that I can clear my mind (and some space) to start work on my new series. My immediate goal is to begin building a resume and to do this, I'll need to get accepted into juried shows and the like.  I'm excited!





I'm also working on a website which will eventually be a more static place to view my writing and artwork.  The Don started this for me, but I'm flighty and indecisive and so it turned out to be easier for me to take over as lead on the project.  He still has access, and I look forward to employing his help often.  Because I have a goal of dominating the world via social media, there is no shortage of places to find my stuff on the web.  Essentially, I never shut up. ((That was a freebie, Don.  I lobbed it right to you.))  However, these sites are updated weekly, if not daily, and are really more of a living record of what's happening with me.  I anticipate the new website to be a more serious, professional web presence. Once it's established, it shouldn't require much maintenance, except to add new works.  So far, only the homepage is visible because the rest is under construction, but just know that you can find it here:  The future homebase of Robin Kalinich in cyber space.  You are most welcome.

I haven't been doing much writing, as is evidenced by the lack of blog updates.  I'm working on a novel and several short-stories at the moment and I hope to work more on those over the holiday. Spoiler - one is about a bitchy clown. Can you believe I made you wait THIS long to find out what the title was referring to? Very sneaky.  I'm sorry.

In other news:  I've decided upon a car.  It's a Hyundai Elantra.  Indigo Blue.  The car is being transported from El Paso, so I don't actually own it yet.  It came down to a battle between the Elantra and a Mazda 3.  I can tell you, the Elantra seems like a much nicer car, especially the interior, for round about the same $.  I can't wait for it to arrive.  In the past, I've owned the following vehicles:  The Weenie Wagon, RubySport, Black Mamba, and most recently Sweet Pea.  Sweet Pea is still thriving, but she moved to NC to be closer to my daughter, Kailey.  The point being, I need to think of a name for my sweet new ride.  Help is appreciated!

I hope you have a very relaxing holiday.  Be careful with the sparklers.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.