Friday, June 22, 2012

A peek into my studio

My writing has ceased to exist, but I hope to rectify that this weekend. 

In the meantime, I've been getting some work done in my recently revamped studio. 

I am declaring this one DONE. Title: Having Lost You. I began with words from a poem that I wrote 8 years ago in response to my sister's death. As the work progressed, these words became hidden by subsequent layers and are now almost indecipherable. They've become obscured and softened, but are still present. I think this is a completely accurate representation of grief. 

I used:  a fabulous cradled wood substrate made for me by my husband, acrylics, various paper goods including paper tape, charcoal, chalk, glaze.


Here are some working photos of the process:


The poem itself is not my best work, but it is still special to me because it contains such raw and honest emotion.  





The photo above is actually my favorite.  But, I forged on.








I love the destruction part, so there was much scraping and scratching.  It was glazed and finished with a UV-resistant spray.  I've had an epiphany lately, and instead of focusing on the finished product, I've been paying more attention to the creative journey along the way.  I think this will greatly improve my work in the long run, but I fear it may take awhile to get there.  I'll be patient.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.