Wednesday, June 20, 2012

I'm not an impostor.

I wonder how many times I will need to say that out loud before I convince myself.  At least 10,000 more, I suspect.  Sometimes, it seems like I've stolen someone else's life and they might tap me on the shoulder at any second and demand it back.

The world is full of some pretty amazing people.  I spent 5 days last week participating in the Chemistry of Pyrotechnics Seminar.   I was presented with an astounding amount of material about explosives and pyrotechnics.  I was dumbfounded by the depth of information, both technical and practical, that these guys had.  They don't just understand the principles behind making this stuff work, they have decades of practical, boots-to-the-road experience, which in many cases is worth so much more.  They also have a ready supply of hilarious stories and in some cases, supporting videos.  Technically, it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. So satisfactory that I hope to attend the advanced class next summer.

While still on the tarmac in Albuquerque, I met a fellow traveler and classmate.  She was a complete stranger when I sat down next to her on the plane, but we spent the plane trip talking and hours later we found ourselves at an Olive Garden in Baltimore.  I was lucky enough to spend the next 5 days with her and now I miss her!  She was living in Tucson, AZ but, moved to LA after we returned from the trip.  She's an adventurer!  We had a lot of fun touring the town, which took about ten minutes. I could go on and on about the incredible people I met. 


There was Haeng, who traveled all the way from Korea for the seminar.  He landed in Dulles and took a taxi to Washington University.  We offered to give him a ride and before long we were fast friends. I hope we're  friends forever.  That's what Facebook is for, right?  If I ever make it to Korea, he has promised to show me the town.  We took him to the liquor store on the last night and he had a great time.  ;)












Can't forget Bob and the crew.  This is him telling me a fish story.


There were so many interesting and talented people that I can't mention them all.  I miss them already! It feels like I just left summer camp!  

I enjoyed a very enthusiastic welcome back from my husband.  I can't express how lucky I am to have that man.  I'm keeping him!

Sunday afternoon, I attended the first in a trio of seminars regarding The Business of Art presented by New Grounds Print Workshop.  I am somewhat greedy with my time, and hesitated to invest three lovely and valuable hours on this, especially on Father's Day, but I am so glad I did.  I learned that in general I'm on the right track, but that I have many things to learn about how to build a resume and approach galleries.  I will definitely be back for round two next Sunday.  If you are an artist and are unsure about any topic related to the organization, sale, or marketing of your work, you should consider joining me.  Previously, I had an unclear understanding of Juried Exhibitions and the valuble part they can play in establishing a resume.  As a result of this topic, I discovered this website: Call for Entry.  This is the artist's analog for Duotrope; it allows you to search and enter juried shows.  You can also keep track of your entries.  Very useful!

And lastly, I leave you with a poem by Alicia Curtis which was featured yesterday in Clutching at Straws, a strange but delightful electronic journal of poetry.  It's about bees.  Read it here.