Monday, March 26, 2012

Rules for writing


I've managed to adhere to at least one of these - marry someone you love and who thinks you being a writer's a good idea.  My favorite, because it is simultaneously the simplest yet the most difficult, is this:

The way to write a book is to actually write a book. A pen is useful, typing is also good. Keep putting words on the page.  Anne Enright offers this sage advice.  

While we're on this subject, I may as well admit that I currently have two copies of bird by bird by Anne Lamott on my bookshelves.  I love this book. If you haven't had the pleasure, read it. I've read it so many times that I've lost count.  But, reading about writing a book is absolutely not the same thing as actually writing one.  Not even close. Neither is blogging about writing a book, so I'm going to take Anne's advice and go write something. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.