Sunday, March 25, 2012

A girl who reads

I am a girl who reads.  I'm currently reading The Truth About Marie, written by 
Jean-Philippe Toussaint and translated by Matthew Smith.  I haven't gotten far enough to review the book yet, but you can read a review by The Guardian here.  Here's a different review posted at The Millions, one of my absolute favorite sources for all things art & lit.  

The last book I finished was White Teeth, by Zadie Smith.  Damn.  This is one of those books that makes you wish you had written it youself.  It makes you want to be a better writer.  The dialogue is fantastic.  It's sharp, witty, and funny.  The really impressive thing is that this was Zadie's first novel, completed in 1997.  I don't know how it took this long to end up on my reading list.  I've read On Beauty, her latest novel, and I would recommend it also.  Her middle novel, The Autograph Man, was greeted with less enthusiasm than the others, but is still well-regarded.  I'm adding that to my reading list as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.