Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Extreme Journaling Workshop

This past weekend, I attended a workshop with Juliana Coles and it was fabulous!  I love her work, and went primarily to glean mixed media and collage tips.  Here's a pic of a 12x12 painting I got from this past year's Harwood fundraiser.  It hangs in my office and every time I look at it, I like it more.   Believe me, the amateur photography doesn't do the artwork justice.




To tell you the truth, I was skeptical about exploring my psyche via art journaling. It sounded like bullshit to me. It's possible that I even mocked it.  A lot.  But then, something wonderful happened. I showed up at the studio and met so many talented, brave, and kind women.

.

It's almost hard to explain afterwards.  We got lost in a frenzy of journaling.  Notice that I didn't say creating art.  In the end what we created WAS beautiful, but it was more than art. It was hard and gritty.  It was delightful.   I would recommend this workshop to anyone interested in expanding the bounds of their creativity, but you'd better come equipped with emotional bravery and a willingness to share or you will be cheating yourself of a life changing experience.  My art and creativity will definitely be better and wider in the future.  And I learned something true and important about myself that I can use to become a better person, and isn't that what it's all about?










My new Chicago friend, Dana.  

Here are some other pictures from the weekend:

My husband is a badass.