Saturday, May 7, 2011

Encaustic mixed media

I took the day off of work yesterday and hung out in the studio. The piece to the left started with plywood board. I added various paper pieces, poetry and old acrylic paint scraps which had been collected and saved. I used watered down gesso to adhere the pieces. Melted beeswax, with resin and luster wax, was added. The wax was scraped and reshaped. Finally, the piece was brushed with a glaze. When that was dry, a final spray coating of glaze was added. I'm quite pleased with the result, although I wish now that I had started with a more substantial substrate. Something with more weight and heft, maybe. Also, usually the hanging hardware is attached before the piece is begun, but this is not the case here. We'll have to figure out how to attach the hardware without mucking up the art.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for spending your valuable time with my blog. I&A welcomes all feedback and comments.