Friday, March 25, 2011

The Orange Eats Creeps - Review

I spend my a fair amount of my web surfing time (which is essentially non-existent) scouting around on obscure, small press sites seeking the next great read. I love to support small presses and I especially love to find an emerging author and buy their books.    I hope to someday find myself in their position, and  and I hope someone has pity and does the same for me. Believe me when I say that it hurts my soul to give a bad review to just such a book. 



I started catching glimpses of the title The Orange Eats Creeps several months ago, and of course, with a title like that it lodged itself somewhere in the detris of my mind.  After letting it kick around in there for a while, I finally decided to just order the book, without really reading any reviews, which was a mistake.  Touted as 'visionary", I can't finish it.  I am mostly to blame, because I think this book was just a poor choice for me; not really up my alley, so to speak.  I should have read the reviews.  I don't even really like vampires, for crying out loud.  It's too grungy and directionless for my taste.  While it's probably true that there IS a plot or a point somewhere in this book, I haven't run across it yet, and now I've given up.  This book is an account of grifter vampires, addicted to sex, drugs, and blood who cruise the streets looking for their next  fix.  I'm partial to gritty, heartbreaking stories, but even I need a to see a glimpse of hope somewhere in the story.  Anyway, don't take my word for it.  Look it up, check it out.  Tell me I'm wrong.