Monday, December 20, 2010

Bringing Up Baby

Movie night was delayed by one day.  Since I've seen very few classic films from the golden age of Hollywood (translate that to - none), I did a quick search, made a list of 10 or so, and somehow narrowed it down to Bringing Up Baby (1938).  If I haven't ever mentioned this before, here's a tidbit about me - when I read for information, I skim.  And I use that word in the loosest sense possible.  Basically, I scan the text quickly, pick out key words, and fill in the rest willy nilly.  In many situations, it serves me well, but not tonight.

 For some reason, I imagined something very much like Raising Arizona, which I dearly love.  I was definitely under the impression that this would involve a human baby.  I enjoyed the movie very much, and actually laughed out loud many times, but my expectations were way off the mark.    The plot is centered around mishaps and misunderstandings caused by Susan, Katharine Hepburn's character, and involving a leopard.  I found the beginning of the movie quite charming, and hilarious.  I have to admit that by the end, Susan was getting manipulating and annoying.  Overall, I thought it was a good pick though.  I enjoyed the slapdash comedy and the clothes.  I thought the coyness and flirtatiousness of Susan was cute.

Favorite quote:  When a man is wrestling a leopard in the middle of a pond, he's in no position to run. 

This gem was uttered by David Huxley, Cary Grant's character.  

Night!