Thursday, December 23, 2010

Barbara Newhall Follett

I recently read an article about Barbara Newhall Follett, a talented writer who published her first book in 1927, when she was just 12 years old.  There isn't much information, and some of the articles I found hasve slightly conflicting dates, but here is the NPR piece which originally sparked my interest.

I checked at Amazon, thinking to procure one of her books, but they are rare and therefore priced extremely high. I don't see any evidence of reprints.   I'm going to keep my eye out for these books during my thrift store trips.  You never know what might pop up!

This seems to be the only picture of her available (it's from google images):

 Here another, more detailed article, written by Paul Collins for Lapham's Quarterly. 

One of Follett's works is House Without Windows.  I haven't been able to find an excerpt of any kind, which is disappointing.  It appears that Columbia University Libraries have a rare book collection and possess 6 boxes of  "Correspondence, manuscripts, and related material including the manuscript of THE HOUSE WITHOUT WINDOWS, as well as manuscripts of THE VOYAGE OF THE NORMAN D, LOST ISLAND, TRAVELS WITHOUT A DONKEY, and numerous poems and stories. Also, material relating to a biography of Barbara written by Harold Grier McCurdy."

So if you're ever in the area, a 24 hour notice is required, and the materials must be viewed in the library reading room, but it would yield an interesting afternoon.